Monday, December 30, 2013

Crafty Bargain Hunter

MY STORY

     If you are like me, nothing says Christmas like the after Christmas sales.  I'm not talking about electronics or handbags, but craft supplies and holiday cards.
     Today's outing took me to some of the large and small craft stores in my neighborhood.  With coupons and Christmas crafting items up to 80% off (wahoo), I have stocked up on some great last minute gift supplies and started compiling my stash for next year - I know it is a sickness but who cares?  More on how to use holiday cards later, but here are a couple of quick and easy ideas that cost next to nothing to do.

YOUR TURN

  I love having some cute coasters made as last minute house party gifts or home decor.  I use these year round, but with the Christmas bargains and some other supplies you can create fast, easy and inexpensive gifts.  For the coasters you will need:

  • Rub On Transfers.  There was still a large collection of holiday transfers available and with dramatically reduced prices, each package (which can create 4 coasters) was about $1.20.
  • Mod Podge
  • Felt backing (I have a big supply of the round felt pieces I got at a home supply store.  Package of about 50 pieces was only $2.99)
  • Tile Coasters - I also got these at a  home supply store.  They are slightly irregular so you may not want to put them up as a kitchen backsplash, but for crafting they are perfect.  Box of 10 about $2.00.
STEPS:
  • Cut out transfer image, peel off backing and rub onto tile.  That is it!
  • Cover with Mod Podge and when dry add the felt backing.  These coasters are great with both warm and cold beverages and how cute!   Wrap them up in a big ribbon and they make a great housewarming present.  




   There are so many great transfers available, you can whip this up before you head out to that New Years Eve party tomorrow.

   I have some pretty diverse styles when I decorate and in parts of my house I am all shabby chic and pastel and then sometimes a girl just has to glam it up.  I like these modern trees and trust me they are so simple to make.

     You will need:

  • Styrofoam cone shapes.  With the markdowns I was able to snag these for $1.00 each.
  • Bottles of glitter - depending on what color you want to use.  The holiday colors were marked down so I scored three bottles for about $2.00 each.
  • Spray on adhesive
  • Foil roasting pan - I don't cook but love these for crafting. You will need one for each color glitter.  
  • Wire - comes in various colors and gauges, I like the thicker gauge for this project.

STEPS:
  • Place the trees in the roasting pan and cover one tree at a time with spray adhesive.
  • Dump the glitter into the pan and roll the tree around until covered.  Let dry.  HINT:  The glitter you don't use can be put back in the jar for future projects.
  • Wrap the wire as desired - no pattern, free form seems to work better.  And you are done!





2 comments :

  1. love those trees.... congrat's on joining the Ann Butler Designs guest design opportunity... you will love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ava. Congratulations to you as well! I'm excited to be able to participate as a guest on the design team. It is quite an honor!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading The Everyday Muse. I appreciate all your comments and feedback!