Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Decorate To Celebrate Challenge Time - a special frame for Dad

MY STORY

     It's challenge time again at Decorate to Celebrate!  Make sure you check out their blog for tons of inspiring projects to kick your celebrations off into high gear!  Decorate To Celebrate blog

     Two things I know to be true:  1) I get lost in Pinterest and 2) Mothers always have saved some of their children's toys.  My son is now 20 years old, a Corporal in the US Marine Corps, and there are just some things I can't toss.

    So on a recent journey through Pinterest, I found this project which intrigued me:  Pinterest. Now the website that featured the project is in Spanish, but you get the idea.


   I loved this idea on many levels, and thought, what a great gift this would make for a new Dad, or anyone celebrating Father's Day.  How cute would this be to gather up some old toys from an expectant Dad and use it for a frame?  Here's my interpretation of this project.  Have fun and use your imagination on this.

YOUR TURN

     What you will need:
  1. Plastic toys
  2. Inexpensive frame - large frame size so you have room to add your toys
  3. Spray paint and spray sealer - color of your choice.  Be sure to read the can and make sure it works on plastic.  Not all brands do.
  4. Scrabble letters or stickers
  5. Strong glue

     Lay out the toys you are using before gluing to insure you like the layout.  Then just glue them into place.


     Once dry, spray paint the entire frame.  Some hints:
  • I like using a shallow box for spray painting.  It limits the amount of spray you let out into the air and you can turn the project around to cover all sides and angles.
  • Spray outside and don't use near pets or kids.
  • Sometimes I like to use a mask, those fumes can be strong
  • When choosing your paint, look closely to see if the finish is matte or glossy.  I used matte paint and a glossy sealant.
  • Keep the paper insert that came with the frame in place.  That way, you won't have a lot of paint going into your box.

     Spray one even layer and let dry.  My example used two coats of the spray paint.  Once color is dry and you are satisfied with the color, spray a clear sealer over the paint.

     Once everything is dry, add some scrabble tiles or stickers to personalize as desired.

  My son loved the beach, especially hanging out with his Dad and he used to collect tons of ocean related rubber toys.  I thought this would be a great combination and I hope his Father likes it!!!






6 comments :

  1. I love this so much super cute frame. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That turned out so Freakin' COOL!! LOVE the Details too! Have a Crafty Day! :)

    Theresa
    Scrappers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  3. This frame is awesome!!! I want one, too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! this is such a fun project and even the kiddos can help make this for dad:) TFS
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading The Everyday Muse. I appreciate all your comments and feedback!